Mornings are so hassled times that everyone seems busy getting prepared for work or to arrive schools and colleges early otherwise day would start with admonishment, scolding or absenteeism and whole day will be spoiled with a bad mood. In this hurry people think avoiding breakfast is better option than having a bad mood whole day. I think it’s not a healthy choice to avoid breakfast which forms base for whole day meal and is most important. So it is better to wake up a little early and cook something instantly that is nutritious too.
I am providing here an instant and healthy option: Instant Uttapam recipe for morning breakfast.
During my Schooldays I could never manage to have Uttapams in my lunch because of their requirement of long time in preparation. If I remember, there would be hardly 3-4 times somehow my mom could manage to pack Uttapams in lunch. Otherwise I always had noodles, sandwiches, Pohas, fried rice, maggies in my lunch. So monotonous! What one should do if he has to make Uttapams in few minutes of time; there should be some solution. Here is solution:
In my earlier post of Recipe for Sambhar, I told you that Dosa and Sambhar is my most favorite. There is another dish similar to Dosa that I also like very much, is Uttapam. Uttapam is similar to Dosa but not equally same. It is made with same batter like of Idli and Dosa. But unlike Dosa, it is more fluffy and spongy all over whereas Dosa remains little crispy. Here I am going to acquaint you about an instant way of preparing Uttapam batter instead of long process of soaking overnight and then keeping it for 6-8 long hours for fermentation. Here I am avoiding the long process of waiting in preparation to eat Uttapam, I am here with an instant method of making Uttapam.
Time Taken- For Preparation- 15 min
For cooking-10 min
Category- Main Course
For Uttapam Batter-
Rice flour-1 cup
All purpose flour/ Refined flour- ½ cup
Semolina (Rava/Suji) – ½ cup
Fresh coconut (Grated) – 1tbsp
Fenugreek seeds (Methi)-1/4tsp (crushed)
Yogurt- 1 cup
Oil- for greasing
Green Coriander leaves- 4-5 bunches
Green chillies- 2
Dry mango powder- 1tsp
For Green Coconut Chutney
Coriander leaves-3-4 bunches
Fresh Coconut- ¼ part of whole
Yogurt- ½ cup
Steps to Follow
- Mix all the ingredients under For Uttapam batter adding little water as required to make thick consistent batter suitable for making pancake like structures. Keep it aside for 15 min.
- Chop all the vegetables under For toppings, very finely (Make sure they are very fine). You can take any combination of vegetables like onions, cabbage, French beans can also be used but I have chosen above combination of veggie mix.
- Sprinkle Salt and dry mango powder to give them a tangy flavor (You must season veggies when you are about to make uttapam otherwise they will release their water leaving toppings messy)
- Now heat a flat pan, grease it with oil. Spread out the batter in the form of small circle or pancake(It must be a little thick and not very large).
- Immediately after forming circle, put toppings on it so that they stick in raw batter and cook it on low flame.
- When pancake gets cooked and starts turning light brown, flip it in a blink of an eye (It is important as there is an art of flipping in it; because if it is not flipped in such manner, toppings will come out of pancakes/ you may end up breaking pancakes; flipping will be easier when pancakes would be small and veggies will be finely chopped). If you wish your pancakes look browner you can flip taking little long time when they turn more brown. I have kept them slight brown as I like them in this color only.
- Cook these pancakes from other side for a little long time so that veggies get cooked thoroughly and become soft yet crunchy.
- Transfer these cooked pancakes or so called Uttapams to a serving dish and serve hot with green coconut chutney.
For Green Coconut Chutney:
- Grind all the ingredients under For Green Coconut Chutney except yogurt.
- Mix this paste well with beaten yogurt and add salt.
- Enjoy with Uttapams.
Hope you liked this instant way of cooking Uttapams. Try out and tell me via your comments how it came out with you. Keep sharing its flavor with your near and dear ones!
- Rawa(Sooji/Semolina) Dosai (subbuskitchen.com)
- Easy Recipes 2: Instant Dosa (Indian crepes) (casualphotos.wordpress.com)