Dal (cooked pulse) forms the main and most common constituent of our (Indians) daily meal. It is eaten in every day life. But don’t you think it becomes so monotonous to eat same kind of stuff everyday with no change; just boiling pulses in water with salt and turmeric tastes so boring. Though Dals are important for our diet but why don’t we try to give a twist to its flavor adding some flavorsome ingredients and make it healthier with vegetables. Hence, I am here with a kind of Dal which is more delicious and healthier in terms of nutrients. I have blended it with some spices and vegetables. Vegetables used are Cabbage and capsicum. And spices or other ingredients, I have mentioned in recipe.
When I told my mom that I am going to cook Healthy Veggie dal, she insisted me to highlight its health benefits, so I proceeded like this-
As we all know Pulses are our body building food: good source of protein and rich supplier of calcium. They also lower blood cholesterol level and blood sugar level increased post meal in Diabetics. Sprouted pulses are more nutritious as they are rich source of vitamins of B group like thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, ascorbic acid. They also lower blood pressure level.
Mixing with cabbage and capsicum dal becomes more healthy because capsicum lowers cholesterol level too along with it acts as antioxidants as it has vitamin A and vitamin C in high levels and good for heart too.
Cabbage is fibrous and has rich source of roughage, thus provides good metabolism.
I think after knowing these many health benefits, you will surely go for making this delicious healthy veggie dal. Let’s go to make its recipe-
Time Taken- For Preparation- 4-5 hours
For Cooking- 40 min
Category- Main Course
Split red lentils (Masoor Dal) – 1 large tbsp
Split green gram (Moong Dal) – 1 large tbsp
Split Bengal gram (Chana Dal) – 1large tbsp
Tomatoes- 4 (chopped)
Red chilly Powder-1tsp
Turmeric Powder- 3/4tsp
Capsicum-1 (long sliced)
Cumin Seeds- 1tsp
Ginger-garlic paste- 1tbsp
Cashew nuts-7-8 (soaked)/ almonds (optional)
Fresh Coconut- 1/4th of whole
Coriander seeds/freshly ground- 1 large tsp
Dry Red chillies- 2
Dry Fenugreek leaves- 1 large tsp
Olive Oil- 1 tbsp
Green Coriander leaves to garnish
Mustard Seeds (rye/Sarson)-1small tsp
Dry red chilli-2 broken
Steps to Follow
- Soak all three pulses for 4-5 hours and soak cashew nuts for 30 min.
- When pulses and cashew nuts get soaked, chop cabbage and capsicum and keep aside.
- Pressure cook all three pulses with tomatoes, red chilly powder, turmeric and salt in 3 cups of water for 3-4 whistles or until gets cooked.
- While Pulses are getting cooked; grind cashew nuts, coconuts, dry red chillies, and coriander seeds to a coarsely ground paste adding water, if required.
- Now heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds to crackle, then add ginger garlic paste to sauté and now put that freshly ground paste & sauté more for a min.
- Finally put into cabbage and capsicum with a pinch of salt to season along with fenugreek leaves.And cook sprinkling water as required until they soften yet remain a bit crunchy.
- Transfer this veggie mixture to pressure cooked pulses (you can use hand blender to blend dal after pressure cooking, then add veggie mix) and mix well.
- After mixing bring it to a boil adding small amount of water to give it a suitable consistency.
- Tamper it with the ingredients under ‘For Tampering’. Heat oil and fry these ingredients in a pan and add to the Prepared Dal.
- Mix fresh cream and serve hot garnished with Coriander leaves with rotis/rice.
Enjoy this Healthy veggie dal! And be healthy, eating healthy food!