Paneer (cottage cheese) is so versatile as a main ingredient of so many varied dishes. I like very much eating its many dishes. I also like giving twists to original recipes and end up making some new-fangled savor. Here is also one recipe of Paneer which has got a new tang adding few more ingredients keeping its base ingredients of gravy intact. Its base ingredients of gravy are only derived from Chef Sanjeev Kapoor’s Method of cooking; otherwise whole new recipe is in our front changing its way of preparation. Who can cook better than a Master Chef like Sanjeev Kapoor, but I have tried giving my miniature effort of modifying it a little. Can’t I?
I have tried to give some tangy and crunchy flavor to cottage cheese too instead of leaving them plain. For that I have prepared a marination like coating which you’ll get to know in recipe method. To thicken gravy more I have added Poppy seeds/ Khas- Khas paste. This dish is a bit tangy because of yogurt and lemon juice used (but to avoid much tangy flavor, use plain yogurt, not very sour). This tangy flavor s getting balanced by spices used and ginger- garlic- chilli paste added. Gravy is thick coating all diced cottage cheese. So it can be said overall a well balanced spicy tangy delicious curry of Paneer is ready to savor your appetite. Let move on to know its recipe-
Time Taken- 20 min
Category- Main Course
Cottage Cheese (Paneer) – 250 g
Yogurt– 1 cup
All purpose flour/ refined flour- 1 tbsp
Ginger- garlic Paste- 1tbsp
Green chilli paste- 1 tbsp
Poppy seeds/ Khas- Khas Paste- 1 tbsp (soak poppy seeds for ½ an hour and then grind)
Turmeric- ½ tsp
Bay leaves– 2
Garam Masala– 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Oil- 2 tbsp
Coating for Cottage cheese-
Lime juice– of ½ lemon
Cumin Powder- 1 tsp
White Pepper Powder– ½ tsp
Garam masala- ½ tsp
Corn starch- ¾ tbsp
Salt- to taste
Oil- for frying
Steps to follow-
- Dice cottage cheese and pour lime juice over them and muddle up.
- Sprinkle cumin powder, ground white pepper, garam masala & salt ( little amount as we already have it in gravy) and mix well
- Now coat all the diced cottage cheese in corn starch and fry until golden brown. Take out in a tray along with corn granules (that can be added in gravy to include tanginess) and keep aside.
- Take yogurt in a bowl and beat it well.
- Add in all purpose flour, chilli paste, ginger- garlic paste, turmeric & salt (to taste or as required in gravy) and mix.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet and sauté Bay leaves, Black Peppercorns, Green cardamom, and cloves.
- Add Yogurt mix that was kept aside along with 1½ cups of water.
- When it starts boiling add coated cottage cheese and sprinkle garam masala. Again bring it to boil and cook until gravy thickens.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.