As I have already said Bhaturas have an inseparable bond with chholey. They are normally eaten with chholey only. I have no where found bhaturas crunched with some other curries but you are your own king, if you want to gobble it up with some other curry or find it going with some apt curry; you can go for it. I think it won’t taste bad with other curries too. But with chholey, it’s amazing.
Bhaturas are made with refined flour base which is fermented for half an hour or more with yogurt and baking soda. Somewhere, they can also be fermented with yeast instead of yogurt and baking soda. If you find this option more appropriate, you can also apply it. In this case omit yogurt and baking soda and add 1 tsp of yeast (active one, newly opened).
Another option which can also do the work for making is addition of boiled mashed potatoes and semolina in the refined flour. Other ingredients (except yogurt and baking soda) will be same as following. Mashed potatoes will provide softness and semolina will give crispiness. What are you waiting for? go for the following process and get your puffy bhaturas directly in your platter. Gobble it with scrumptious Punjabi Masaledar Chholey. The recipe and ingredients of Bhatura I have opted for is here-
Time Taken- For Preparation- 10 min
For Cooking- 5 min
Category- Main Course (Breads)
All purpose flour/ refined flour/ Maida- 3 cups
Baking soda– ½ tsp
Yogurt– ½ cup
Salt- ¼ tsp
Nigella seeds- 1/8 tsp (optional)
Oil- 1 tbsp for dough and more for deep frying
Water- 1 cup
Steps to follow–
- Mix oil to the refined flour and form a crumbling mixture of flour rubbing it with hands.
- Add baking soda, salt, nigella seeds (optional) and beaten yogurt to flour mixture and knead it to a dough. Cover the dough with damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 15-30 min
- Now take a medium sized ball of dough and roll it out in a circle.
- Heat oil in wok/ fryer for deep frying, slip in the bhatura rounds into the wok from side of the wok swiftly and carefully.
- With in few seconds of time, bhaturas will start swelling up. The moment same starts occurring, pour frying oil(lying around in wok) over bhaturas with the help of ladle and keep your ladle over the bhaturas (don’t press just keep ladle lightly) and fry bhaturas with circling motion (this will help in swelling of bhaturas uniformly. All this has to be done in few seconds coz meanwhile other side would have been cooked).
- Flip and light brown other side too in 2-3 sec.
- Take out and serve hot with chholey
I have tried explaining way of frying bhaturas to get perfect swollen puffy bhaturas as best as I could. This type of frying applies to all other fried breads to get puffy breads. Many of you must be knowing it well but I have provided it for the convenience of all newbie folks out there who can get idea of deep frying to obtain perfect bhaturas. This way fry all the bhaturas and serve with chholey. You can find Chholey recipe here.