You all must have eaten various kinds of kebabs, veg, and non-veg. Today we’ll get acquainted of one such veg Kebab made of Kidney beans (Rajma). It’s perfect snack, delicious yet healthy option for breakfast also. If you take it along with any bread like flat breads, it pairs well and becomes a main-course meal.
Kidney beans, a well known source of iron and protein, low in saturated fat and cholestrol keeps you even healthier when cooked in minimal quantity of oil and that too olive oil. Use fresh flavoring ingredients (like fresh green chillies, ginger, onion, garlic etc.) and present a healthy snack in meal.
Rajma Kebabs includes boiled, coarsely ground rajma (shaped in the form of cutlets) including some other ingredients for delicious flavors.
Let’s get on to the recipe-
Time taken- For Preparation- 12 hrs or minimum 6 hrs
For Cooking- 20 min
Servings/ Yield- 10 kebabs
Kidney beans (Rajma) – 1 cup
Onions- 2 (finely chopped)
Ginger- 1 inch (finely chopped)
Garlic- 4-6 (finely chopped)
Green chillies- 3medium (finely chopped)
Turmeric- ¼ tsp
Red chilly Powder– 1 tsp
Gram flour– 1½ tbsp
Corn flour- ½ tbsp
Salt- to taste
Olive oil– 2 tsp +for shallow frying
For Green Chutney–
Coriander leaves– 1 cup
Garlic- 3 cloves
Ginger- ½ inch
Green chillies- 3
Lime juice- of ½ lemon
Dry mango Powder- 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Steps to follow
- Soak kidney beans overnight or for 6-8 hrs and then boil with small amount of salt.
- Strain them and dry them over low heat to remove excess water of moist kidney beans.
- Grind them coarsely along with roasted and crushed cloves.
- Heat 2 tsp oil (don’t need much) in a pan. Add onions and sauté until light brown.
- Add in other ingredients except gram flour and corn flour. Stir cook for a minute (if needed, sprinkle some water).
- Now mix ground kidney beans and stir. Mix well and turn off the flame.
- Take corn flour and mix it with gram flour adding ¾ cup of water and some salt.
- Mix this flour mixture into the kidney beans mixture (for better binding) and muddle up well. Leave the mixture to cool off.
- Take some mixture and shape it into cutlet form (round, flatten and outlining the edges). Likewise make all kebabs.
- Heat a non stick pan and grease it. Shallow fry them and cook both sides to turn them brown.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
Hmmm… Green Chutney! Let’s see how it’s made-
- Take all the ingredients under “For Green Chutney” in a blender and blend them.
- Green Chutney is ready.