Fresh fenugreek leaves are available in abundance these days. Winters are best to optimize the nutritional contents of leafy vegetables to a great extent. I had enough fenugreek leaves lurking in my refrigerator. I made my mind to present it in more nutritious form by combining its nutritional quality (High in iron, protein, dietary fiber, vitamin C etc.) with that of whole wheat flour (carbs, low in cholesterol and saturated fat, and is also high in dietary fiber and minerals). And for this nothing can be better than Methi- Parathe.
When enough fresh, flavoring ingredients and spices get incorporated with leaves and flour, fenugreek doesn’t taste that much awful bitter. Even a bit bitter-spicy tastes delicious in flat breads when paired with sour yogurt, pickle or subzi (curries).
There are several ways of making Methi- Parathe-
- Mixing chopped raw fenugreek leaves and other ingredients in flour and making dough.
- Mixing stir fried chopped fenugreek leaves and few flavoring ingredients in flour and kneading dough.
- Kneading dough including fenugreek leaves’ puree with other ingredients in flour.
- Making a stuffing of fenugreek leaves after sautéing them with other ingredients and few powdered spices. And then filling it the center of dough ball and rolling it out.
I have opted for the first way of making in this recipe. You can go for others also as per your wish. Here is its recipe-
Time taken– 5 min for one
Servings/Yield- 8-10 flat breads
Category- Main Course (breads)
Whole Wheat flour- 2 cups
Fenugreek leaves- 1 cup (chopped)
Ajwain(carom seeds)- ½ tsp
Cumin seeds- ¼ tsp
Green chillies- 2 (finely chopped)
Ginger- ½ inch (grated)
Desi ghee (clarified butter) – 1tbsp
Salt- 1/2 tsp or to taste
Oil/ Desi ghee (clarified butter) – to cook
Steps to follow
- Rub desi ghee all through the flour with the help of hands to form crumbling mixture.
- Mix all other ingredients including fenugreek leaves and knead this flour mixture into smooth dough adding water as required. As we have to make flat breads, it would be medium in tightness, pliable dough.
- Take a small portion of dough, make a round smooth ball without cracks, flatten and roll out in a circle shape.
- Heat a pan, grease it with desi ghee. Place the rolled out flat bread over it. When base side starts getting light brown, flip over and grease this upper side with desi ghee. Likewise do for otherside.
- Like this make all flat breads.
- Serve hot with chilled curd, chutney or subzi of your choice.
I hope you’ll enjoy it.
- methya parata (adigemane1.wordpress.com)
- Sprouting fenugreek. (floweryprose.com)
- Methi Corn Biryani (Rice with Fenugreek Leaves and Corn) (aahaaram.wordpress.com)