Paneer Jalfrezi is dry fry curry of Paneer (Cottage cheese) and mix of various vegetables in which capsicum is main vegetable.
All vegetables and paneer are cut in batons. This kind of appearance is a demarcating feature of Paneer Jalfrezi. It forms a significant and delicious element of meal menu be it party’s menu or your regular food menu. It has rich thick subtle tangy and spicy dry gravy base. Whenever I have its leftovers, I go for making rolls. These rolls made with paneer jalfrezi serve as a healthy, quick to make snacks and an easy option for tiffins.
Paneer Jalfrezi derives its method of cooking from simple Paneer sabzi or kadhai Paneer with slight differences. Let’s see how its recipe goes-
Time Taken- 30 min
Category- Main Course
Cottage cheese (Paneer) – 250g (in batons)
Capsicum- 3 (sliced long)
Carrot- 1 long (thinly sliced long)
French beans- 8-10 (in long slits)
Tomatoes- 2 (in puree)
Onions- 2 (ringed juliennes)
Ginger- 1½ tsp (finely chopped)
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Nigella seeds- 2 pinch
Turmeric- ¾ tsp
Red chilly Powder- ¾ tsp
Green chillies- 1tsp
Garam Masala-1 tsp
Whole dry Kashmiri red chillies-2
Fresh cream- 15 ml
Tomato ketchup- 1tsp
Oil- 2 tbsp
Chopped coriander- to garnish
Steps to follow-
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and nigella seeds to crackle.
- Add whole dry Kashmir red chillies, green chillies & onions and sauté until onions soften.
- Add ginger, tomato-puree and all other powdered spices. Keep sautéing until oil separates the tomato-spices mixture.
- Now add all sliced vegetables and season it with salt. Let veggies cook in their own water with occasional stirring (you can add small amount of water for thorough cooking).
- When vegetables get thoroughly cooked, become soft and remain one percent crunchy, add paneer and give it a stir to mix well.
- Give final touch by adding tomato ketchup, vinegar and cream (adding cream will give it thick rich gravy texture). Mix them well and cook for another one minute.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander. Enjoy with rotis, naans or tandoori roti.
- Paneer Butter Masala (acougarinthekitchen.com)
- Restaurant Style Paneer Tikka Masala (Vegetarian) (myfancypantry.com)
- Ghatte- Paneer Jalfrayzee (parwatisingari.wordpress.com)