Chicken Tikka Masala is a spicy curry of chicken having grilled chicken pieces in spicy gravy base. Chicken Tikkas are beloved snacks be it party’s menu or any eminent restaurant. Similarly, Chicken Tikka Masala is also very temptingly ordered main course meal. First time I gave order for it few years back when I was with my family at Moti Mahal for New Year’s treat. After that I enjoyed it several times at various restaurants. But last time when I had it at Food Court in a nearby mall, I developed an intense urge to try at home.
I searched through my much valued recipe book gifted to me by my Papa, which has the collection of Sanjeev Kapoor’s recipes. I tried including some apt variations as per my taste and it came out perfect as desired. Everyone tried and tasted including me and my chicken tikka masala was lauded exceptionally delicious, giving tough fight to restaurant’s flavor.
Chicken Tikka Masala has two significant components constituting it as a whole i.e. Chicken tikka and gravy base. Chicken tikka itself has diversely delicious flavors infuse so well in chicken pieces that they together taste exceptional, smoky grilled flavorful pieces. Its gravy serves as extra add-on to the flavor and makes Chicken Tikka Masala a perfect main-course meal.
Here I have provided two ways of making chicken tikkas, as per your convenience, you can opt one. You can make chicken tikkas in your regular pan without any tandoor, grill maker or microwave. If one has availability of grilling, go for that.
Let’s check out its whole recipe that goes into two parts-
Time Taken- For Preparation- 2hrs
For cooking- 45 min
For Chicken Tikka/ Marination
Chicken- 300g (Boneless pieces)
Yogurt- 3/4 cup
Kashmiri Red chilly powder- 1tsp
Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
Garam Masala- 1 small tsp
Tandoori Chicken Masala- 1 heaped tsp
Ginger Paste- ½ tbsp
Garlic Paste- ½ tbsp
Lime juice- 1 tbsp
Cinnamon Powder- ¼ tsp
Clove Powder- 1/8 tsp
Salt- to taste
For Gravy base-
Cumin seeds- 1 small tsp
Onions- 3 medium (minced and chopped)
Tomatoes- 2 (pureed)
Tomato Paste- 1 tbsp
Tomato Ketchup- ½ tbsp
Ginger- 2 tsp (finely chopped)
Garlic- 1tsp (finely chopped)
Turmeric- 1 small tsp
Kashmiri red chilly powder- 2 heaped tsp (if taking regular red chilly powder reduce quantity to 1 heaped tsp)
Coriander- 1½ tsp
Tandoori Chicken Masala- 1½ tsp
Cumin Powder- 1 tsp
Garam Masala- 1tsp
Dried fenugreek leaves powder (kasuri Methi) – 1 tbsp
Fresh Cream- 30 ml
Oil- 2 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Fresh coriander and ginger juliennes- to garnish
Steps to follow-
- Mix all the ingredients under “For Chicken Tikka/Marination)” in a bowl except oil.
- Properly apply marinade over chicken pieces and leave it to marinate for 2 hrs or minimum 1hr.
- Insert skewers into chicken pieces. Properly arrange all the chicken pieces on skewers (keep left marinade for later).
- Grill them either in grill maker or in microwave.
Or Drizzle 2 tsp of oil in a deep pan (don’t take excess oil, hence it won’t be chicken tikka, chicken pieces will then be fried instead), put chicken inserted skewers on pan and roast them all from each side until they get tender and acquire dark golden brown charred kind of appearance (not wholly charred, you can guess what I meant, grilled appearance).
- Remove from flame. Chicken Tikka is ready and keep it aside for later.
Before making, check out notes.
Let’s go for making gravy base-
- Heat oil in a deep pan and add cumin seeds to crackle.
- Add in onions, ginger and garlic and sauté until onions turn golden brown.
- Put in tomato puree, ketchup, tomato paste, left marinade and other powdered spices- kashmiri red chilly powder, turmeric, coriander, tandoori chicken masala, garam masala, and cumin powder. Keep sautéing until spice mixture turns flaming red and starts leaving oil (if required, sprinkle a little bit of water)
- Now add in chicken tikka pieces, sprinkle over kasuri methi and give it all a fine mix.
- Give a final touch by mixing fresh cream. Add in little bit of liqueur about one cup and let it simmer for 5-10 min until gravy thickens.
- Serve hot garnished with ginger juliennes and chopped coriander leaves.
So what are you waiting for? Go make yours and have scrumptious indulgence.
Note- You might face a trouble while making chicken tikka in pan; that due to difference in size, chicken pieces may not cook evenly on skewers while roasting on pan. Some pieces might get charred and some might remain under cooked. Hence you can roast them directly on a pan having very small amount of oil. When they get tender & start getting light brown, align them on skewers and then roast for few more minutes turning skewers occasionally.
I know you can’t get same chicken tikkas like that of tandoors or griller, in your pan made ones but Chicken Tikkas made like this would not lag much behind in competition of taste.
- Chicken tikka masala. (yumbotumbo.com)
- More curry please, we are British (telegraphindia.com)
- How to cook the perfect chicken tikka masala curry (metro.co.uk)
- Chicken Tikka Masala (indulgencerecreated.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Tikka Masala, Because I Miss All the Restaurants In San Francisco (growitcookitcanit.com)
- Chicken Tikka Masala (indulgencerecreated.com)