Day before yesterday, when I was planning for some evening meal, Paneer Veg nibbles struck to my mind as a first option for meal, which I made a while ago. When I was sneaking in my refrigerator to collect its ingredient, I found beetroots which were left untouched without being included in any dish, just were eaten few times back as salad. They were patiently waiting for their turn to get consumed. How sweet beets are! 🙂
But seeing them, my mind got deflected towards them and I decided to include beets as main ingredient of the meal I was going to prepare. But what about Paneer Veg nibbles? Well, I wanted the flavor of those nibbles in this dish so I skipped the carrots used there and included beets as main ingredient instead. All n all I concocted a whole new dish called Beetroot patties or you can say Beetroot Cutlets/Tikkis, totally different from nibbles but incorporating the soul method of Paneer Veg nibbles.
I didn’t want sweet flavor in patties, so have enhanced the spices and other flavoring ingredients. If you like to have sweet flavor of beets in patties you can mild the spices used. I wanted a bit crispiness in patties, hence I used corn starch as coating. It made them crunchier outside and soft inside.
These beetroot patties are nutritious containing goodness of beets (rich in antioxidants scavenge deleterious free radicals, one of the reasons of cancer development, low calories, fiber, vitamins etc). You can keep this goodness intact cooking them in olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
So, let’s move on with the recipe
Time Taken- For Preparation- 20 min
For Cooking- 10 min
Servings/Yield- 12-14 patties
Category- Appetizer/ Snacks
Beetroots- 2 medium sized (grated)
Potatoes- 4-6 medium sized (boiled and mashed)
Capsicum- 1 big (finely chopped)
Green Peas- ¼ cup
Garam Masala- ½ tsp
Ginger- ¾ inch
Garlic cloves- 5 (crushed and finely chopped)
Cumin seeds- ¾ tsp
Green chillies- 2 small (finely chopped)
Turmeric- ½ tsp (optional)
Coriander- 1 tsp
Red chilly Powder- ½ tsp
Corn starch- 4 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Oil- 1tbsp + for shallow frying
Steps to follow-
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add cumin seeds to crackle.
2. Add in peas and stir cook until soft a bit. You can sprinkle some water to let them cook until soft.
3. Put in green chillies, ginger and garlic to sauté for few seconds.
4. Now add capsicum and grated beetroot along with powdered spices like turmeric, red chilly powder, coriander,and garam masala. Season with salt and let that cook with occasional stirs until capsicum becomes soft and beetroot get done.
5. Remove from flame and let that cool down to temp bearable to hands.
6. Now mix mashed potatoes well with this beetroot mixture to get pliable dough like mixture.
7. Divide dough mixture in equal portions. Take one portion and shape it into Pattie form: round like ball, flatten and shape the edges.
8. Coat it with corn starch all around.
9. Sallow fry them from both sides.
10. Serve hot with chutney or chilly sauce.
1. I have presented here vegan version of Patties. If you are eggetarian or non-vegetarian, then you can go for another delicious version; Follow all above process as same except 8-10. After 7th step, coat them in beaten egg then further coat with bread crumbs, and finally go for shallow frying them.
- Beets with cumin seeds and tomatoes (nami-nami.blogspot.com)
- Beetroot (girlgardening.co.uk)
- I am a fan of beetroot hummus (ramblingprose.wordpress.com)