Here is one specially tempting and simply irresistible delicacy right from streets of Amchi (our) Mumbai. Though it is getting popular all over India but in Mumbai, it has totally different and unique craze as street food.
I started it liking since the very first time I tasted it. And my liking for it got even more stronger when I was in college. it was then recently included as a new menu item for lunch at my college’s cafeteria. So I used to have it at several times I go there to lunch. The servers of cafeteria were known for their unique delightfully delicious flavors of various delicacies and their appetizers and snacks were exceptionally lip smacking. This I can tell after having their snacks for three long years. I still miss that flavor and try to acquire that flavor in my Pav bhaji. I can say from trying and tasting of my Pav bhaji, I have succeeded to great extent.
Pav is Puffed-up buns that are too light and spongy, for that you’d have to visit bakery to buy some. Otherwise if you are a good baker, you can make your own. I am not much into baking, then got some from market. Bhaji is thick rich gravy mix of various veggies that are mished mashed into an indistinguishable gravy.It’s delicious, flavorful, spicy,light and having uniquely spiced flavor of pav bhaji masala, a special spice for pav bhaji. This inseparable bond of Pav and bhaji is truly made for each other. Both tastes delicious together. To have its delicious feast , let’s check out its recipe:
Time taken- For Preparation- 20 min
For Cooking- 25 min
Category- Snacks/ Appetizer
Pav- 12 pieces
Potatoes- 4 (boiled)
Cauliflower florets- of 1/3 cauliflower
Peas- 1/4 cup
Capsicum- 1 medium (finely chopped)
Tomatoes- 3 (finely chopped)
Onions- 2 (chopped)
Ginger Paste-1 tsp
Garlic Paste- 1 tsp
Red chilli Powder- 1 tsp
Kashmiri red chilli Powder- 1 tsp (it won’t intense bitterness, just for color)
Coriander- 1 tsp
Pav bhaji Masala- 1&1/2 tbsp
Green coriander and chopped onions-to garnish with speck of butter
Salt- to taste
Butter- 2 tbsp + approx 10g piece+for roasting Pavs
Steps to follow-
1. Boil potatoes. In other vessel boil cauliflower florets and peas with small amount of salt until tender (in other vessel as potatoes may take extra time to get boiled).
2. Now mash them all roughly.
3. Heat 2 tbsp butter/oil in a pan, add chopped onions and sauté until soft and start light browning.
4. Add in ginger paste and garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
5. Now add chopped tomatoes along with powdered spices (coriander, turmeric, chilli powder, kashmiri chilli powder) and keep sautéing tomatoes until done and get mashed up wholly (by the time if you feel need of adding water due to sticking of tomatoes at base, you can sprinkle some water).
6. Put in chopped capsicum and let that cook with occasional stirs until soft (if needed sprinkle some water for its easy cooking)
7. Add boiled and mashed potatoes. Mix it wholly to coat with all spices mixture.
8. Add in other mashed veggies like cauliflower and peas with sprinkle of pav bhaji masala and stir to mix all well.
9. Now keep stirring and mashing these spice coated potatoes and veggies with ladle or you can use masher also. Keep doing it until everything get mished mashed and start looking as wholly amalgamated thick bhaji or gravy with indistinguishable ingredients.
10. At this stage add some vegetable stock about 1 and 1/2 cup and let it simmer to reduce to a thick consistency gravy.
12. While it is simmering, heat butter in a flat pan and roast all pavs at base until acquire light brown texture. Take out in a plate.
13. Finish off cooking bhaji by mixing in a small piece of butter .
14. Plate up delicious spicy bhaji with hot fluffy pavs. garnish bhaji with some chopped onions and coriander with a speck of butter.
- Pav Bhaji (cravecookclick.com)
- Pav Bhaji (aahaaram.wordpress.com)
- PAV BHAJEE with Twist (fussfreecookingblog.wordpress.com)
- Cannon Pav Bhaji (foodmoi.wordpress.com)