Summer is the time when you can see a unique dynamism or a contradictory potential exclusively possessed by nature that on one side scorching sun and sultry heat waves are making nature’s creatures devoid of water; other side nature has bestowed us with vast variety of foods, fruits and vegetables that are rich with hydrating properties to give respite in this hot weather. We can keep our body, mind, and soul cool, refreshed, and healthy by optimizing these naturally bestowed gifts in the form of foods. So keep your body and skin naturally healthy with these simple to follow suggestions. If you are tired of spending your hard-earned money in expensive cosmetics and salon treatments, think of going natural. Give a try to these-
1.Cucumber– Cucumber are good hydrating agents and in summer when body needs higher quantity of fluids to remain hydrated, they are best to include in diet. Due to their cooling property, its good for skin in cleansing and making it feel more soft and soothing. At the same time, they act as relaxing pad for eyes, gives cooling to eyes, reduce their puffiness and dark circles under eyes.
Suggested applications for skin
1. Juice out the cucumber and apply it on face for soft skin. Apply for 5 min and then wash it off.
2. To reduce puffiness of eyes or dark circles, put two slices of cucumber over eyelids and rest your eyes with cucumber slices on for 5-10 min.
3. Cucumber juice along with lemon juice in equal amount when applied on face acts as a good toner and also provides refreshing brightening fair skin. It also reduces acne-problem.
4. A face pack containing puree of one deseeded cucumber, egg white of one egg and 4-5 mint leaves, makes skin soft and glowing.
Suggested Intake options
1. Cucumber as juice.
2. Cucumber in salad.
3. Cucumber in smoothie with other fruits.
4. Raw cucumber in raita or eaten like that.
2.Tomatoes- Tomatoes are rich in antioxidant called lycopene, thus it reduces free radicals of body and act as a shield against ageing. In this intense hot weather of summer, it is also a good sunscreen . It also helps in retaining moisture that is an intense need of the weather.
Suggested applications for Skin-
1. Acne problem can be dealt with tomatoes, they are rich in Vitamin A,C and E that are good for skin. Make a face pack by mashing tomatoes to make pulp and apply this pulp for 1 hour and wash off with water. Do it on regular basis.
2. Reduce your skin pores’ size to minimise skin infections by mixing one tbsp of tomato juice with few drops of lemon and apply on face for 15 min.
3. Mix of Tomato juice and cucumber juice application on face fights against oiliness and acne.
4. A pack containing crushed half tomato with 2 tbsp of plain yogurt protects against sunburn, blotchy, itchy skin. It cools skin, makes it soft and fulfills its protein requirement.
5. Mix of tomato juice and honey for glowing skin.
Suggested Intake options
1. Raw tomatoes in the form of chutney or homemade sauce with less of spices.
2. Tomatoes Raita.
3. Tomato in salad.
4. Tomato juice or smoothie with some other fruits combination.
5. Recipes containing tomatoes and broccoli together.
Your berries diet may include numerous berries like blueberries, blackberries, mulberries, raspberries, not so common acai and macui but the most common and best one will be strawberry. All berries contain vitamin C and antioxidants that are good for skin and reduce free radicals and hence controls ageing of skin. It helps in reducing wrinkles; improves skin tone; reduces blemishes, blackheads and whiteheads. It has ellagic acid, a phytochemical that protects the skin from UV rays and sunlight.
Suggested applications for Skin-
1. Make a facial mask of strawberries, yogurt and honey in equal portion. Apply it on face for 15 min and wash off with warm water.
2. Place two slices of strawberries on closed eyelids and rest for 20 min. It helps fight against dark circles and puffiness.
Suggested intake options
3. Custard of low-fat milk..
4. Strawberry with low-fat whipped cream
4. Green tea
Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants and contain as many as hundereds of flavonoids that are majorly responsible for numerous benefits for skin. It has vitamin B and C also. Vitamin C is responsible for producing collagen, which acts as anti-ageing agent , skin repair and provides younger looking skin. Vitamin B, especially B12 helps in skin regeneration. It has polyphenols which prevent skin cancer. Green tea fights against acne. It has Catechins that are anti-bacterial agent which reduces acne break-outs, its redness, swelling and smoothen the skin. It also protects the skin from harm due to UV rays. Green tea has also succeeded in reducing your extra kilos as it increases metabolic rate.
Suggested Applications for skin-
1. Dissolve 25g of green tea in 125 ml of mineral water and leave it to rest for 1 to 2 hr. Strain and liquid is ready to use against blemishes, spots sun-burn, tired strained eyes by applying cotton soaked in liquid on the affected area or on the closed eyelids.
2. A face-mask made of mayonnaise and green tea also helps in removing toxins of skin, moisturises, makes it soft and supple. Mix 1 tbspoon of mayonnaise with 1/3 teasp of green tea leaving delicate eye areas untouched, rest for 15-20 min and rinse off with warm water.
Suggested Intake options-
1. Drinking as tea.
2. Green tea as candy.
3. Green tea smoothies.
Always remain hydrated during summers. As rate of water loss increases in this hot weather which leaves you dehydrated. Hence all the body functions get disturbed. Not only metabolic activities get disturbed but the protective shield of moisture that is essential to be maintained for healthy skin, also vanishes away. Proper hydration is necessary to stay away from dry skin and wrinkles. You should try to increase your water intake, in whichever manner you like to have along with 8 glasses of water. 8 glasses of pure filtered water is necessary along with other fluid intake options.
Suggested Intake options.
1. Eight glasses or more of water everyday.
2. fruits and vegetables having hydrating properties.
3. Beverages without soda and preservatives.
6. Brown Rice
If you are a rice fan but can’t gorge on it due to weight and diet issues, think of a healthy substitute to white rice and is brown rice. Brown rice helps in detoxification and reducing weight. While passing through intestinal tract, it removes possible number of toxins and makes your skin healthy and clear from within. Because being fibrous in nature, it takes long time to chew upon and hence you feel satiated in less of food. That’s why you are able to avoid over-eating, maintain your diet and thereby results in reducing weight. It also controls blood sugar and cholesterol level. All and all a good rice for skin and body metabolism.
7. Low Fat yogurt
Low fat yogurt is very refreshing, healthy and beautifying ingredient for hot weather. Low fat dairy products are rich in Vitamin A which beautifies and cleanse skin. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties so it helps in clearing and keeping skin healthy. It can be used as mild facial. It moisturizes, reduces ageing and comforts sunburn. Low fat yogurt is good to take along with other fruits or in fruit salads. Try to eat it in raw form but you can include in other various cooked foods of summer. It will provide a cooling effect to the food and will be a healthy inclusion being low-fat in nature rather than a whole milk yogurt. You can make your low-fat yogurt with skimmed milk at home by adding small amount of low-fat yogurt (bought from market), about 1 heaped tsp into about 1 bowl of warm skimmed milk (if it is hot weather outside, then use warm otherwise hot skimmed milk for comparatively colder conditions). Mix this added yogurt well with hands to make sure it is properly dissolved in milk and has no lumps. Keep it closed under warm conditions or at room temp of summers(don’t refrigerate), low-fat yogurt will be ready to use in 12 hrs or so. Then after, you can refrigerate. Once you have your low-fat yogurt ready, you can start off your chain of homemade low-fat yogurt and you’ll have yogurt ready to use every time in future.
Suggested applications for skin-
1. Apply it gently on hands, legs, neck and face. Rest it for 20 min and then wash off with water.
2. It can be used as pack with other ingredients as mentioned above like with cucumber juice or tomato juice or berries that help in maintaining good skin.
3. Blend a tablespoon of oatmeal, one tbsp of honey and 1/4 cup of plain yogurt and use the resulting skin pack for 10 min and rinse with water to moisturize skin.
4. Yogurt is found effective in treating oily and dull skin when used with lemon. 1 tsp of lemon in about 1 tbsp of plain yogurt creates yogurt face mask and is beneficial to treat clogged pores, clearing, cleansing and brightening skin.
5. Blend of gram flour, oatmeal and yogurt is beneficial for skin tightening.
Suggested Intake options
1. In lassi, or shakes or smoothies.
2. In fruit salads or in combination with other complementing fruit.
3. In raita.
4. Take it uncooke but in cooked forms you can opt for Dahi ki sabzi, kadhi, marinated cooking involving yogurt, baked potatoes or toast topped with yogurt instead of cream etc.
5. In soups.
1. All the suggested applications are natural and should not have adverse effect on skin but everyone has different skin type, different suitabilities and allergies, then you must check each suggested application beforehand prior to applying as whole on skin. First apply on any hidden skin portion, and if you find it fine without any adverse reaction within 12 hrs; you can continue with that for naturally beautiful skin.
2. Persons having dairy, alpha or beta hydroxy acid allergies should not go for suggestions involving yogurt, lemon, berries, tomatoes or other citrus fruits. Alpha or beta hydroxy acid is a kind of acid present in dairy products or citrus fruits or vegetable-like fruits. It rejuvenates and clears skin used in various cosmetic products like acne treating creams but some are allergic to it.
3. Try to intake all suggested foods in raw form then it will be more beneficial. Mainly, the possible thought intake forms have been suggested; if you think of other healthy and delicious forms, you can quote here in comments that will be appreciable by all.
Images licensed under:
google under http://search.creativecommons.org/