Today I am going to share with you all a healthy, nutritious and delicious diet food. So, all diet-conscious amazing people out there, be ready to have a healthy addition to your healthy diet. And rest of you, who are not so diet conscious and already amazing :), don’t think it’s not for you. You all also be ready to have a delicious flavorful addition to your delicious menu.
If most of you find your healthy food not so delicious, give a try to this Oats Idli, a rare combination of nutritious and delicious features together in one. Preparation of Oats Idli requires steam cooking and minimal use of oil that make its cooking healthy and use of oats itself a healthy inclusion. Oats are rich in dietary fiber that checks your right quantity intake thereby helps losing weight, improves digestion, regulates metabolism, lowers cancer risk, lowers cholesterol and sodium level etc. n number of health benefits. Hence, it’s good to begin your day with oats and this oats idli can be a good option to have healthy-delicious start.
As people are getting more health conscious, it is going to be a trend-like here to have oats in breakfast which is replacing cornflakes-breakfast trend that had been popular for long back. You can have it as breakfast or as main-course meal in lunch or dinner also.
I tried it first time and was wondering how will it come out as in taste and appearance. But it came out nice as soft as regular ones & even more delicious. By tasting it I can say they were better than regular rice-blackgram Idli-s. Pooh also agreed with the same and asked me to prepare Oats-Idli-s at more frequent intervals than regular Idli-s. I think I should.
Oats Idli-s can be better on another one ground of time taken in preparation. On one side where regular rice-blackgram Idlis take total 16-18 hrs preparation or minimum 7 hrs, other side it only involves 20 min. Thus it is an Instant Oats Idli in comparision. Normally Uttapam, Dosa and Idlis have same ratio of rice and black gram just their consistency and slight cooking method differ. Similarly here, like Instant Uttapam, it is Instant Oats Idli which also invoves semolina in the batter. It has similar batter-base ingredients of Instant Uttapam except APF with a slight touch of Kanchipuram Idli. I wanted Idli to be more of Oats so included Oats in place of rice which is main ingredient in both regular Idli and Uttapam. I kept oats in more quantity than of semolina. If you want you can take both in equal quantity.
Let’s quickly check out its recipe for our healthy routine-
Time Taken- For Preparation- 20 min
For Cooking- 12 min
Servings/Yield- 16 Idlis
For Oats Idli
Oats- 1 cup
Semolina (Rava/Sooji)- 1/2 cup
Yogurt- 3/4 cup
Carrots- 2 long (grated)
Ginger- 1 thumb sized piece (grated)
Black gram(Urad dal)- 1 tsp
Bengal gram(chana Dal)- 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Olive Oil- 1-2 tbsp +to grease
Mustard seeds/Rye- 1/2 tsp
Cashewnuts- 8-10 (roasted light brown)
Eno/Fruit salt-1 tsp
Salt- 3/4 tsp
For Coconut Chutney
Yogurt- 1/2 cup
Dry red chillies-4
Dry red chillies- 2
Mustard seeds/rye-1 tsp
Olive Oil-1/2 tbsp
Steps to follow-
1. Dry roast oats till it start getting light brown. Let it cool down to room temperature and then grind finely. Put it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard seeds to splutter.
3. Add black gram and Bengal gram. Keep them sautéing until they become nicely crunchy.
4. Now add in some broken curry leaves and ginger. Saute them for few seconds.
5. Mix Semolina and stir cook for few minutes until gets done; turns nice light brown and fine aroma starts coming.
6. Now it’s time to add carrots and stir cook for half a minute.
7. Whisk yogurt well in a bowl and transfer both mixtures i.e. semolina mixture and oats mixture into yogurt.
8. Mix them all adding water to acquire the batter consistency (that is not too runny and not too thick, a bit thicker than as of dosa or similar as used for making fritters).
9. Keep it to rest for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes if you find the mixture has thickened (as oats absorb water easily), you can add more water to acquire same consistency as earlier.
10. Meanwhile put your steamer or cooker filled with water on flame. Grease your Idli moulds; when you are about to pour your idli batter in moulds, mix eno in the batter and fill all the sections of mould with batter putting cashew-nut in the center (you can also roughly chop cashew-nuts and mix in batter).
11. When steam is formed in the steamer/cooker, put that mould inside. Leave it to get steam-cooked for 10-12 minutes.
12. Turn off flame; check whether they are cooked or not by inserting a knife, it should come out clean. When Idlis along with mould cool down to room temp, run a knife through the edges of idli-mould to demould each of them out.
Let’s also make coconut chutney to serve with idli-s
1. Take all the ingredients under “For coconut Chutney” except to temper and grind them coarsely adding little bit amount of water (not too much).
2. Heat oil in a tempering pan, add ingredients to temper and let them crackle.
3. When ingredients start changing their color, transfer them to temper over ground coconut chutney.
Plate up your scrumptious soft Idlis with savoury coconut chutney or green mint chutney.
Hope you liked it. Please don’t hesitate to like, share, comment or query. Your any of the responses means a lot.
Eat Healthy! Be Healthy!