Yeah this dish called “Crunchy Eggplants on Pasta Sauce topped with two cheeses” was cooked with few eggplants from the lot of eggplants got aggregated for some reason and reason you know.
I know many of you don’t like eggplants and even I don’t like it very much but eggplants/Brinjals prepared in the manner given in recipe are truly scrumptious. If you were searching for a special recipe that would help you eating brinjal/Baingan in delicious form, then your search ends here. This delicacy is an exotic and delicious snack or appetizer of Brinjal/Baingan/eggplant/Aubergine.
I had to utilize that lot of eggplants and meanwhile coincidently I met with an exotic delicacy called Eggplant Parmigiana from Vanessa at Live Blissful. After having a glance at the recipe; its ingredients and method made me sure that this dish would surely be a delectable one and very complementary to our Palate. Seeing this delicacy I couldn’t wait to prepare it. But something that was a constraining factor was Soy milk that had gone finished in the pantry and I was superlazy to go to supermarket. That’s why I substituted it with an ingredient that is my concoction; soy milk gave me a clue of soy sauce. Though soy milk and soy sauce far apart in flavor but my mind does weird things sometimes :). I had dark soy sauce and I made soy liquor with soy sauce, you’ll see how in the recipe. I can say using the so called soy liquor enhances its flavor by giving it a slight tartness. Another thing that was to some extent my concoction was pasta sauce. In place of using processed pasta sauce, I used an instant version of it by mixing three sauces used in making Pasta. These are few factors and few differences from the original recipe that were restraining me to name it Eggplant Parmigiana. I adjusted the original recipe to the one suitable for regular Indian kitchen Pantry. So this recipe is inspired from Eggplant Parmigiana of Vanessa and not Eggplant Parmigiana. I thank her for letting me get acquainted with this great tasting recipe of eggplant.
I was trying to upload this recipe at the earliest but due to some prior engaged posts, I couldn’t but day before yesterday when Pooh suddenly started surfing my blog to see what I am up to, she asked me where is that Eggplant Pizza (a nickname for the delicacy given by her). I said “I haven’t uploaded it yet”. She asked me “why not” that was delicious insisted me to upload it soon then I said okay next post will be of Eggplant Pizza :). Though it’s not typically a pizza but its inspiration being southern Italian dish, it has got similarity to pizza.
Now you can eat and feed baingan in a fuss-free and delicious manner. So here goes its easy and delicious recipe-
Time Taken- For Preparation- 15-20 min
For Cooking- 20-25
Eggplants/Brinjal/Aubergine/Baingan- 2 medium (cut in rounds)
All Purpose flour (APF) – ½ cup
Bread Crumbs- 1 cup
Soy Milk/Soy liquor- ½ cup (Soy liquor= 2 tsp of dark soy sauce+3 tbsp of water)
Salt- to sprinkle
Pepper- to sprinkle
Oil-For shallow frying
Pasta sauce- 4 tbsp (For Pasta sauce=3 tbsp of tomato ketchup+ ¾ tbsp of chilli sauce+ 1½ tsp of dark soy sauce)
Processed Cheese- 25g
Mozzarella Cheese-25 g
Parsley/Fresh Oregano/Basil leaves- few
Steps to Follow-
- Wash and cut eggplants in thin rounds/circles.
- Sprinkle some salt over all eggplant slices. Let them rest for 10 min to ooze out the liquid and bitterness if any gets removed.
- Now after 10 min, take All Purpose flour on a plate and coat eggplant slice with APF. Dust off extra APF.
- Dip in Soy milk/Soy liquor and transfer onto a plate having Bread crumbs. Coat this eggplant slice with bread crumbs all over. Likewise coat each eggplant slice.
- Heat oil in skillet and shallow fry them on medium until they turn golden brown and eggplants get cooked. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Now take a serving tray spread pasta sauce uniformly, place fried crunchy eggplants onto the tray over pasta sauce. Sprinkle some salt and pepper acc. to taste. Grate both cheeses i.e. mozzarella and processed cheese. Garnish with some basil or Parsley or basil and relish.
If you want, you can microwave the serving covered with aluminum foil for 20 min and then uncovered for 10 min at preheated 200 degree.
1. If you want to make typical Eggplant/Aubergine/Brinjal parmigiana, whole method/steps to follow and other ingredients are same and same in proportion, just use soy milk(1/2 cup extra) in place of soy liquor; use organic canned pasta sauce or make your own with tomatoes and tomato sauce (with other few required ingredients); use fresh oregano or basil in place of parsley; use parmesan cheese in place of processed cheese and mozzarella is fine but you can use Notzarella if wish.
- Baingan Bhaja (Eggplant/Brinjal fry with a twist) (femmehavenn.wordpress.com)