Oats Upma prepared using oats and vegetables, makes a healthy breakfast. It gives a vitalizing start to the day and gets cooked in jiffy, no fuss, just well on time when there is not enough time to devote to heavy coursed meal in the morning. It also forms a good alternative to any-time snack-meal also. Vegetables Oats Upma is one of the rare combinations of Healthy-Delicious meal so you can gorge on without any grudge.
Few weeks back I had posted one recipe of oats, Oats Idli which was also a good option of healthy and delicious meal. And now again it is Oats Upma, another similar option possessing same characteristics. Like Oats Idli, I also liked Oats Upma too much.
This time I have prepared it using various vegetables I had in hand. You can go for other combination of complementing vegetables also. Sometimes Oats Upma is also prepared sans any vegetable but mixed veggies enhance its flavor, provide it more nutrients and make it more delicious and even healthier.
So, this was about Oats Upma with Vegetables, have a look at the recipe now to cook healhy-yummy meal in breakfast or for tiffins/Lunch-box.
Time Taken- For Preparation- 15 min
For Cooking- 15-20 min
Category- Appetizers/Snacks (Breakfast)
Capsicum- 1 medium (chopped)
Tomato- 1 medium (chopped)
French beans- 7-8 (chopped)
Onion- 1 small (chopped)
Ginger- 1½ tsp (grated)
Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
Mustard seeds/Rye- 1tsp
Split Black gram- ½ tsp
SplitBengal Gram- 1 tsp
Green chilli- 1large (chopped)
Whole Dry Red chillies-2
Asafoetida- 1 pinch
Lemon juice- 1small
Olive Oil- 1½ tbsp
Steps to follow
- Take out all the ingredients together at one place and chop/grate the ingredients required to be done so, mentioned in “Ingredients” list.
- Dry roast oats in a heavy bottomed deep pan until it becomes slightly crunchy and fine aroma of roasting start leaving out of it. Take out and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Heat oil in the same pan; add in a pinch of asafoetida, rye/mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add in whole red chillies, black gram & Bengal gram and sauté until lentils turn crunchy and brown.
- Add onions and sauté until they caramelize.
- Mix ginger, green chillies & curry leaves and sauté for few seconds till ginger turns deep brown.
- Throw in chopped vegetables i.e. capsicum and French beans followed by addition of turmeric and slight sprinkle of salt so that vegetables get cooked faster. Stir cook them till veggies turn slight soft with a bit of crunch.
- Add tomatoes, sprinkle salt (to taste) and stir cook for few seconds until tomatoes become slightly soft and start leaving their juice.
- Lastly add roasted oats. Give a gentle stir to mix vegetables mixture & oats well together. Sprinkle some water (around 1/4 cup) and let oats get cooked for 1-2 min with occasional stirring.
- Take out, squeeze in lemon juice and plate-up garnished with a lemon wedge and curry leaves.
If you found the post and its recipe useful, interesting and delicious, then please do give me your responses through comments, likes or shares. I would really value your these responses. For sharing on “Facebook”, “Twitter”, “StumbleUpon”; “Google+”, or other sharing options “More” ; only a single click is required on any of the respective buttons placed below the post, following “Share this:”. It keeps me encouraged to do better and better.
- Bread Upma (yummytwists.wordpress.com)
- Puli Rawa Upma (Sour Sooji Upma) (subbuskitchen.com)
- How to make… Kuzhambu maavu upma (thehindu.com)
- Broken Wheat Upma (cookingwithsapana.wordpress.com)
- Mix-Veg Couscous Upma…. (kelipaan.com)