This post was referenced in Moong sprouts chaat. Hence as promised, the post to show the process of fast sprouting is here. This has been done in reference of Moong beans, but can also be applied to other seeds like dried black chickpeas or few beans, to make them sprout fast.
So let’s move ahead to see the details of sprouts and sprouting process.
What is Sprouting? – Sprouting is the process of developing an outgrowth in seeds (beans and peas). The developed outgrowth is called sprout or hypocotyle (botanical term) which when sowed finally develop in shoot above and below roots.
Health benefits of sprouts- Many of the benefits have already been discussed in moong sprouts chaat. Then here is reiteration of the same-
Protein rich; no fat; no cholesterol; right portion of carbs. ; higher portion of vitamins especially Vitamin C, and B also; high amount of minerals (calcium &Iron); high concentration of enzymes that help in easy digestion; these enzymes convert starch and protein already in their simpler forms. Thus sprouts become easily digestible. If you look for cutting down your extra kilos, Moong sprouts will be a perfect choice. Hence in nutshell, a bowl of moong sprouts is a complete meal in itself. If you call it Super-food then it’s totally correct.
Let’s check out the process to sprout fast (any seed, dried chickpeas or mung beans or soy beans)
- Wash and soak whole moong/green gram or moong beans in water having measure double or triple to that of moong beans, overnight or for 12 hrs.
- Then after, you’ll find the moong beans have become double to their size; strain them through a colander. Drain out excess of water.
- Transfer these moong beans to a muslin cloth(damp is fine) and tie it up loosely (loosely because, they remain properly aerated and moisturized without any hindrance of overcrowding at one place).
- Keep this small bag over a steel strainer at some well ventilated and dark place [by dark place doesn’t mean any cupboard or inside any closed shelf but a place not receiving direct sunlight or heat & is well ventilated having proper air/O2 supply. A kitchen counter (not receiving sun-rays) away from cook-top will be fine].The strainer containing the bag, should be kept tilted at 45 degree angle (so that it gets proper air from base also and excess moisture drains out easily. This position helps in maintaining apt moisture and apt air.)
- Untie the bag after 2-3 hrs. Rinse them thoroughly, drain away excess water as much as possible (don’t dry wholly) and tie up in muslin cloth again.
- Keep it in the same position again for 2-3 hrs more. Then again do the 5th step.
- Repeat 5 and 6 step again n again until you get desired length of sprouts, 3-4 times a day. You can do the same process for max 4-5 days to get long sprouts and after sprouting, sprouts can be refrigerated for one week to consume.
- After few shots of rinsing, the seed/bean coats start getting loose so you can abandon the seed coats with washing them properly and keep beans sans coat. But if the coats are slightly attach and you are fine with that, then keep them be.
- These sprouts are developed in 2 days, but if you follow the same process then you’ll get satisfactory length of sprout in one day only. You can continue the sprouting for 4-5 days also.