Mozzarella cheese sticks are the snacks I tried as monsoon special snack with some exotic flavors. This version of Mozzarella sticks is a deep fried (no bake) and egg-less version in Indian Style. These cheesy bites are prepared by coating the mozzarella sticks in the batter of cornflour & all purpose flour and then with Italian herbs seasoned breadcrumbs which are then deep fried at high smoking point.
Although the Mozzarella sticks are from Italian cuisine but they form a much demanded and popular appetizers at American restaurants. Most of the recipes call for eggs but to make it vegetarian I skipped them (eggs and non veg are restricted during these holy days of shrawan. This one is considered as tradition in most Hindus homes). Panko style breadcrumbs are not an easy find here so I have used the regular breadcrumbs. I feel this may or may not make any huge difference. I myself enjoyed them thoroughly in lovely weather. They are so delectable; their gooey oozing out mozzarella with crunchy and exotic flavored, aromatic coating that team up best with tomato ketchup or hot-sweet tomato sauce.
Here is its easy recipe-
Time Taken- For Preparation- 20 min
For Cooking- 15 min
Servings/Yield- 10 sticks
Mozzarella cheese block- 100 g (cut in sticks of around 1 cm thickness, 2 inch long)
Corn Starch/flour- 2 tbsp
All Purpose flour/refined flour- 2 tbsp
Paprika- ½ tsp
Black Pepper- ½ tsp
Salt- 3/4 tsp or to taste
Bread crumbs- 1½ cups
Pasta Seasoning/Mixed dried herbs- 2 tsp
Oil- for deep frying
Steps to follow-
- Take mozzarella block and cut into sticks. Put aside.
- Take a deep bowl, put in corn-flour, all purpose flour, paprika, black pepper and salt. Mix them well.
- Now add in water as required and whisk uniformly well to get thick coat-y consistency of batter like that for fritters. If it gets runny a bit, add both flours in equal proportions with adjusted seasoning (the batter should coat thick)
- In another plate; mix breadcrumbs and dried herbs.
- Now take one stick; coat it in the batter and then with breadcrumbs-herbs mix. Both coating in a uniform manner. Likewise coat all mozzarella sticks and place them together on a plate.
- Refrigerate them for 15-20 min.
- Heat oil in a deep heavy bottomed fry pan to 375˚ F (You can measure the temp without frying thermometer; when you’d keep oil in the pan for heating up, take one wooden spatula or ladle with you. When the oil will heat up near to the required temp, it will show the numerous small bubbles at the bottom of the pan. When you’d put in ladle in the oil, the joining edge will show vigorous bubbling around. That means oil is heated up to the temp necessary for frying mozzarella sticks).
- Now drop in four mozzarella sticks one by one carefully (only 4 at a time, no overcrowding, as more than that may result in dropping down of temp too fast).
- Fry them well turning each one swiftly and carefully until they turn nice golden brown (this will happen fast so be active and swift). Take out on an absorbent kitchen paper just at the moment you see a li’l bit cheese starts oozing out. Then go for another slot keeping the same reqd. temp of frying oil.
- Plate up and serve and gobble up immediately when hot and gooey with tomato ketchup or hot and sweet sauce.
Enjoy your snack time!
In case of any unavailability of packaged breadcrumbs, you can make your own breadcrumbs by dry roasting brown bread or even white one would do. Roast 2 bread slices nice brown and crispy and then grind it coarsely near to fine grainy texture.
- Homemade Mozzarella Sticks (cookbookmanila.wordpress.com)
- Mozzarella Stick Chunks (kcort.wordpress.com)
- Fried Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks Recipe (glutenfreerecipebox.com)
- The BEST Low Carb Mozzarella Sticks EVER (mustlovedogsandwine.com)
- Henry Cavill – Fried Mozzarella (fox8.com)