Munching snacks seems incomplete without any accompaniment dish like dips or sauces. Pairing up snacks with dips enhance their flavor. Dips with tomatoes be it ketchup, sauce, or chutneys ubiquitously team up best with most of the snacks. One such sauce or dip of Tomatoes and peppers is Salsa. Salsa is generally prepared out of canned tomatoes but why to use preserved ones when fresh ones can impart their flavors best. Most Salsa recipes have jalapeno peppers in them but they are not frequent finds here so I thought to go with seeded red bell pepper in place of seeded jalapenos.
Time Taken-For Preparation-12-15 min
For Making- 5 min
Servings/Yield- 2 bowls
Category- Side dish (Dips)
Tomatoes- 4 medium
Red Bell Pepper- ½ of medium (seeded)
Onion- 1 medium
Cilantro- 2 tbsp
Garlic cloves-2 small
Green chillies- 3
Roasted Cumin Powder- ½ tsp
Paprika- ½ tsp
Pepper- ¼ tsp or to taste
Salt- to taste
Sugar- 1/8 tsp
Lime juice- 2 tsp
Steps to follow-
- Let’s start with its preparation of collecting ingredients at one place, their chopping and cutting. The ingredients will be divided in three parts. First, roughly chopped for blending; other one, finely chopped and last one will be seasonings.
- Roughly chopped for blending: 3 tomatoes, ½ red bell pepper, ¾ of 1 medium onion, 1 tbsp of cilantro, 2 garlic cloves, and 2 green chillies.
Finely Chopped: remaining ingredients i.e. 1 tomato (seeded), ¼ onion, 1 tbsp cilantro, 1 green chilli. (Plus reserve few of them to garnish)
Seasonings: ½ tsp Roasted Cumin Powder, ½ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp pepper, salt, 1/8 tsp of sugar, 2 tsp lime juice.
- Take all the ingredients in a blender under “roughly chopped for blending” and blend them until you get smooth mixture (if you like chunky salsa, blend accordingly. I blended smooth).
- Add in all “seasonings” ingredients and whirl again to mix them well.
- Now take this mixture out in a bowl and mix in “finely chopped” ingredients.
- Refrigerate at least for 1 hr or so and serve chilled garnished with few greens and few finely chopped ingredients. Relish with Nachos or Tortilla chips.