Hello Everyone….how about having a bowl full of goodness of chickpeas; fully nutritious, fully proteinacious, in today’s post? Great no? Okay then we’ll move ahead with a healthy Mediterranean Chickpeas Salad. I thought we already have recipes of chickpeas in cooked forms, curries like Amritsari chholey and Masaladar Chholey so this time I should have it in Salads. Chickpeas salads are more filling and more healthy than the dishes cooked in combination of varied spices and oil.
This Mediterranean Chickpeas Salad is a very basic one having very basic veggies used, but like most of other salads, it is also very versatile and can also include other apt vegetables of your choice like cucumber, zucchini, bell peppers etc.
The type of dressing/vinaigrette I have used here, was imparting it flavorsome flavor. A slight, not very common variation I have tried here is the use of hot pepper sauce, whose inclusion was very endearing. Try to include crushed granular seasonings like salt and pepper. You can crush whole salt cubes to make granular salt like kosher salt. Using them in such a way, gives a nice crunch in the bite.
This salad will get prepared in jiffy if you have boiled chickpeas ready in hand; a bowl of health is here:
Now go ahead with the recipe now-
Time Taken- For Preparation- min. 4 hrs (soaking)
For Cooking-10 min (boiling+chopping)
For Making- 2-5 min
White Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans (kabuli/chhola chana) – 2 cups (boiled)
Tomatoes- 2 medium (diced)
Red Onion- 1 medium (chopped)
Cilantro- 1 tbsp (roughly chopped)
White Vinegar- 1½ tbsp
Salt- 1&1/2 tsp (I used regular one but if you possess kosher one use that)
Freshly ground Pepper- 1 tsp
Hot Pepper Sauce- 1 tsp
Olive Oil- 1 tbsp
Steps to follow-
- Start with preparing Vinaigrette; Take white vinegar, salt, freshly ground pepper and hot pepper sauce together in a bowl. Give a nice whisk.
- Now add olive oil, first in few drops and then in continuous stream while whisking it to mix uniformly.
- Throw in diced tomatoes, onions and cilantro followed by boiled chickpeas.
- Toss to mix everything well together. Leave it to set for few minutes, 20 min to 2 hrs.
- Serve garnished with few greens.
Note: If you are thinking to consume it after longer time and thinking to refrigerate; wash chopped onions first, blot them dry and then use it in salad, it won’t spoil salad with its sulfurous smell if you consume after long.
- Fresh Chickpea Salad with Lemon and Dill (michelledawnom.wordpress.com)
- Chicken and Chickpea Fritters (alillesssugar.com)
- mediterranean chickpea salad (chitchaatchew.wordpress.com)