Poataoes seem everyone’s favourite. And in North India, many of the curries are cooked in combination of potatoes only, with some other sub-veggie. Potato is a must possessed vegetable of any Indian Pantry. Therefore for this time my post is dedicated to much liked veggie of all curries, Potato (aloo-Hindi name).
This Kasuri Aloo is again one dry curry of potatoes; where kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) also obtains a key ingredient share. This potato curry smells damn heavenly and one gets tempted by its aroma only. Flavour of kasuri methi in blend of spices and condiments tastes scrumptious with potatoes. Here the use of yogurt plays a significant role in balancing the slight bitterness of kasuri methi very aptly and imparting perfect tang and tartness to the dish.
I feel, I have acquainted enough of the dish and recipe in the above rough blueprint-description in short. So now let’s head towards the recipe straightway to know in full.
Time Taken- For Preparation-15 min
For Cooking- 20-25 min
Category- Curry (side dish of Main Course)
Potatoes- 9 small (boiled, peeled, halved)
Roasted Kasuri Methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) – ¼ cup (powdered)
Asafoetida- 1 pinch
Cumin Seeds- 1tsp
Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
Onion- 2 medium (sliced thinly)
Ginger- 1 inch (minced)
Garlic- 6 (minced)
Green chillies- 4 (slits)
Turmeric- ½ tsp
Red chilli Powder- 1tsp
Coriander Powder- 2½ tsp
Cumin Powder- 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder- ½ tsp
Yogurt- ½ cup
Salt- to taste
Oil- 1 tbsp
Cilantro/Coriander leaves- to garnish
Steps to follow-
- Place a deep pan on flame and put in oil to heat up. Add in asafoetida, cumin seeds and mustard seeds to crackle.
- Now add onions and sauté them until they turn golden brown.
- Add in garlic and ginger along with slit chillies and sauté for a minute.
- Put in all powdered spices followed by drizzle of li’l bit water and keep sautéing spices till they are done.
- Mix in yogurt and give a stir to mix everything well. Leave it to cook for 2-3 min stirring occasionally.
- Now mix kasuri methi and boiled potatoes. Season it with salt. Gently stir to coat potatoes uniformly with whole spicy-gravy mix.
- Take out, garnish and serve hot with pooris, flatbreads or roti-s.
- A leaf out of the cookbook (thehindu.com)
- Soya Kofta Curry (femmehavenn.wordpress.com)
- Aloo Methi (Potato & Fenugreek leaves) (casuallycookingwithbinu.wordpress.com)
- Methi Matar Malai Recipe (cravecookclick.com)
- Kasuri Methi (eatidly.wordpress.com)
- Curried Potatoes (Aloo Bhaji) (zoorkitty.wordpress.com)
- Batata Vada (cookingwithsapana.wordpress.com)
- The Versatile Aloo/Potato Bhaji – South Indian style (kelipaan.com)
- Potato curry/Aloo palya (ramyascookbook.wordpress.com)
- Aloo (potato) palya (ramyascookbook.wordpress.com)