Szechwan Soya, a high-proteinacious platter of soya chunks and few vegetables containing the appetizing flavors of Southwestern Chinese cuisine, the Szechwan/Schezwan/Sichuan/Szechuan Cuisine (Various ways to spell).
I thought to create a dish of soya chunks infused with Chinese flavors of Szechwan cuisine. And this way led me to use the frequently used sauces and other ingredients of Szechwan cuisine for the base of gravy-sauce.
Creating a Szechuan dish of Soya chunks was a pretty good experience and came out very delicious. Chunks were meaty-soft, juicy filled with sour-tart-y flavors of vinegar and soya sauce along with spiciness of pepper sauce, ginger and garlic. Slight crunch of capsicum and beans along with soya chunks was imparting an earthy-peppery-flavorful juicy bite.
Most of us Indians have already fallen in love with Chinese aka Indo-Chinese cuisine, then I must say you would surely like this fusion of Szechwan flavor in soya chunks.
Let’s get on to the recipe now-
Time-Taken-For Preparation- 15-20 min
For Cooking- 25 min
Category- Starters/Snacks or Stir Fry/Dry Curry (Side-Dish of Main-Course)
Mini Soya Chunks- 1&1/3 cups (before boiling)
French Beans- ¾ cup (roughly chopped or cut in 1 inch long piece)
Capsicum- 1 cup (sliced lengthwise)
Shallots/white onion-1 medium (sliced)
Garlic- 10 small cloves (minced)
Ginger- 1.5 inch (minced)
Hot red pepper Sauce- 2½ tsp
Vegetable stock– ½ cup
Soya Sauce- 1½ tbsp
White Vinegar- 2½ tsp
Corn Flour- 2½ tsp
Brown Sugar/Jaggery- ¾ tsp
Salt- to taste
Pepper- 1/8 tsp
Sesame Oil- 1 tbsp
Steps to follow-
- Simmer soya chunks in 2-3 cups of water with 1-2 pinch of salt, for 10 minutes. Then strain them and let them cool down to room temp. Squeeze excess water out of them.
- Heat sesame oil in a deep pan; add onions and sauté until they become soft.
- Add in minced ginger and garlic along with hot red pepper sauce. Sauté them for a minute on medium flame.
- Now therein mix capsicum and French beans with a sprinkle of some salt & pepper and stir cook.
- In the middle of the stir-cooking of veggies, add vegetable stock and keep cooking until they get soft with a bit of crunch left in, along with some simmering stock.
- Meanwhile make a paste of dark soya sauce, white vinegar, corn-flour, jaggery/brown sugar & salt and mix in.
- Stir cook the sauce-mix for half a minute and add soya chunks. Give a nice stir to coat sauce over the soya chunks. Cook for few minutes and take out.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and enjoy as snacky one-pot meal or as a side for roti-s or flatbreads of your choice.
If you liked this dish and its recipe, you might also like other dishes’ recipes with similar flavors: Szechwan Rice, Szechwan Sauce (along with Momo-s recipe), Chicken Chilli, Hot n Sour Capsicum-Beans Soup, Chilli-Garlic Fried Rice.
For Dishes with Soya, you can visit: HERE.
Submitting the post to :
- Chilli-Garlic Fried Rice (femmehavenn.wordpress.com)
- Chinese Fried Rice & Soya Chunks Manchurian (mykitchette.wordpress.com)
- Hot and Sour Capsicum-Beans Soup (femmehavenn.wordpress.com)
- Soya Kofta Curry (femmehavenn.wordpress.com)
- Schezwan Fried Rice (sumanapbhat.wordpress.com)