I had some leftover corn after making Colorful Corn Salad. The very next day I thought to use it in the breakfast and sandwiches are very usual sights on breakfast table. So I thought to use those corns in Sandwiches. Combined it with few veggies like cabbage & capsicum, included cheese slices and sandwiched it all between healthy brown breads, Veggies-Corn Cheese Sandwich is ready. These sandwiches are going to be Pan toasted Cheese Sandwiches.But you can toast in toaster or can grill also. An easy, simple, quick, healthy and taste-buds-pleasing too (a bit cheese is there, but you can burn its calories during whole day when taken in as breakfast meal).
So now let’s have a look at its easy recipe-
Time Taken- For Preparation- 5 min
For Cooking-20-30 min
Cabbage- ½ cup (sliced or shredded)
Capsicum- ½ cup (thinly sliced)
Sweet Corn- ¼ cup (thawed/canned)
Cheese slices – 6
Pepper- ¼ tsp or to taste
Tomato Ketchup- 1½ tbsp
Mixed dried herbs- ¼ tsp
Salt- to taste
Butter- 1-2 tsp + to grease
Steps to follow-
- Heat one tsp or two of butter in a skillet and add throw in sliced veggies followed by seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Stir fry veggies till they just become slightly soft (1/4th cooked) keeping their crunch intact (cook on medium flame & there is no need to add water, veggies will get soft in their own moisture on seasoning)
- Now add sweet corn and stir in tomato ketchup with mixed herbs. Cook for another half a minute. Remove this veggies-corn mix and keep aside.
- Let’s start with making one sandwich. Heat a large flat pan/griddle and grease it with some butter. Place two slices of bread on it and let both get roasted on medium-low flame evenly (to roast evenly, keep pressing and spinning it occasionally).
- Check in between, if breads are turning golden brown, flip over both breads and similarly roast other sides too.
- See if other side has also started turning golden brown, lower flame to lowest. Flip over only one bread & instantly place a cheese-slice on the freshly roasted hot side so that cheese-slice melts and then immediately spread the veggies-corn mix, place another cheese slice on veggies-corn mix. Then flip over the other bread getting roasted and top it on pressed with its freshly roasted hot side down. One Veggies- Corn Cheese Sandwich is ready. Likewise make other two also.
- Take out, cut diagonally and serve hot with tomato sauce or any accompaniment of your choice.
- To toast in toaster, spread some(li’l bit) melted butter/oil on one side of a bread, place this side as base side in touch with toaster. Then above that bread slice, place a cheese slice, followed by veggies-corn mix and again place other cheese slice. Top with other bread and spread a li’l bit of oil again on its upper side facing you. Toast till breads turn nice golden brown on both sides.
- Pan roasted/toasted Veggies-Corn Cheese Sandwiches are best served & eaten instantly when hot.
Would love to hear from you: