Lauki halwa is a dessert with bottle-gourd like pudding but the one I am sharing here, is actually a vegan (no animal/animal derived products)-form of pudding without milk inclusion. And as vegan option vegetable/olive oil can be used in place of desi ghee/clarified butter.
Lauki is a Hindi name to Bottle gourd and other popular regional name to Lauki is Dudhi so it can also be called as Dudhi Halwa. In North India, Lauki Halva is a very common pudding made with bottle gourd on fasting days whether it’s festive occasion like current going days of Navratri or Weekly fasting days.
It has also very simple & easy recipe with just three necessary ingredients & even doesn’t require water to cook. Bottle gourd has enough moisture of its own & gets cooked in its own moisture.
It tastes delicious with just three ingredients, but if you add other two optional ingredients mentioned below in recipe then also it will be fine and will taste deliciously better even. They are just like icing on the cake, so it’s your wish.
Because of its cooling effect and good moisture content it has been included in diet on fasting days to reduce the burning & acidity problems due to starvation; revitalizes the body and reduces the fatigue. Bottle-gourd has many other benefits also; and not only in fasts/vrat ka khana, otherwise also bottle-gourd pudding makes a delicious dessert.
Before I head to the recipe, let me wish y’all a very Happy Dussehra in advance.
Here goes the Lauki Halwa recipe-
Time-Taken- For Preparation-10 min
For Cooking- 20-25 min
Bottle gourd- 1 cup (of 250ml) (grated)
Sugar- 1/3 cup
Oil (for vegans)/Ghee (clarified butter) – 2 tbsp
Cardamom Powder- 1/4 tsp
Mixed Dry Fruits- 2 tsp [almond, magaz (husked melon seeds), walnuts, pistachio or of your choice in any ratio; chopped] + to garnish
Steps to follow-
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a deep pan; add grated bottle gourd & sauté a little bit.
- When you see it has started releasing moisture. Cover it with lid and let it cook for few minutes.
- Open the lid and cook with occasional stirs and pats until its all moisture dries up.
- When you see its moisture is going to dry up all, add sugar & cook again. Stir cook till sugar gets dissolved & infused and whole bottle gourd mixture dries.
- Mix cardamom powder and dry fruits.
- Serve hot or cool lauki halwa garnished with few chopped nuts.
- The recipe serves only 1-2 people but it can be easily doubled or tripled.
- Shred/grate large-sized and measure pressing grates as one cup(of 250 ml).
- If your bottle gourd is not very mature & mushy, you can grate it whole otherwise if it’s mature and has many seeds, then scrape off middle-line seeds & mush.
- If you want a bottle-gourd pudding with milk. You can add milk & khoya/mawa to make it more rich. For this recipe, you can add 150 ml milk after 2nd step.
For more halwa recipes, you can visit: here
For more festive dishes, you can visit: here
For fasting recipes- here
- Red lentil & dudhi dal (shivaaydelights.wordpress.com)
- Navratri Special Recipes 🙂 (fashionableu.wordpress.com)
- Gajar ka Halwa (Carrot Pudding) (upintheflame.wordpress.com)
- Lauki Kofta Curry (Bottle Gourd Dumplings Curry) (chefdivya.wordpress.com)
- Carrot Halwa (thequeenvkitchen.com)
Would love to hear from you: