Mixed vegetables Vermicelli Pulao, a main dish/ one pot meal with vermicelli having several vegetables, cooked up like pulav including its specific pulao masala. This was mixed vegetables Vermicelli Pulao in nutshell.
It will get cooked easily when you have all preparations done beforehand. In preparations, you’ll be required to prepare pulao masala, chopping-cutting vegetables and boiling & straining of vermicelli. When all these things will have been done; then in the pan everything can be cooked very easily and in simple way.
One thing is essential to notice for this recipe, is that overdoing of vermicelli is required to be avoided. After boiling, strain & immediately run coldwater through it. And after straining, it should be properly drained, kept slantly and be separated with hands intermittently while keeping it to drain for some minutes. Do not let them remain moistened for long time. These are few points which will help getting an ideal pulao like texture with vermicelli.
I had chosen vegetables of my choice for this one; for yours, you can choose few others of your own.
The preparation of freshly ground pulao masala gives it nice aromatic flavorful bite. And other used condiments are no less in supplementing & contributing to the flavorful bite. Vermicelli is also finding a good position on Indian breakfast tables in the forms like upma, dosa etc… then this vegetables vermicelli pulav also makes a good choice. If you get your pulao masala prepared & stored in mass then it will save your time and will help getting your breakfast-vegetables vermicelli pulao ready in lesser time.
To know about the dish in full, let’s have a look of the recipe now-
Time-Taken- For Preparation- 20-25min
For Cooking- 20 min
Category- Main dish
Vermicelli- ½ cup
Cauliflower florets- 8
Capsicum- 1 medium (sliced lengthwise/julienned)
Peas- 1/4 cup
Carrot- 1 medium (pith removed, sliced lengthwise/julienned)
Potato- 1 small (cubed small)
Green Chillies- 3 slits
Cumin Seeds- ¼ tsp
Onion- 1 medium (sliced)
Ginger – 1 inch (minced)
Garlic- 6 small pods (minced)
Turmeric- ½ tsp
Salt- to taste
Oil- 2 tbsp
Asafoetida- 1 pinch
For Pulao Masala
Black Cardamom- 1 large/ 2 small (splited, keep seeds intact)
Black Peppercorns- 7
Green cardamoms-2 (splited, keep seeds intact)
Nutmeg- ¼ tsp (grated)
Cinnamon stick- ½ inch
Star-anise- 3-4 petals of 1anise
Steps to follow-
- Dry roast all whole spices under “For Pulao Masala” till they start releasing nice roasting aroma. Then grind them. As the spices are in small qty they may not be ground smoothly therefore take them out, remove unwanted tidbits and pound them possible smooth in mortar & pestle. Finally sift with fine mesh to get powdered pulav masala. Put aside.
- Now boil 1/2 cup of vermicelli in 2 cups of water. Turn off flame just the moment it shows bubbling and boiling.
- Strain on a colander; run cold water through it and then drain away its excess water wholly. Keep the colander slantly for 5-10 min to let it remove its excess possible water. In between, occasionally for one or two times keep separating all vermicelli grains with hands so that they don’t become sticky & gummy due to moisture. All this is done to get separated dry vermicelli grains.
- Now heat oil in a deep non stick pan, add a pinch of asafetida, and cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds start sizzling, add sliced onions and sauté them until they turn soft.
- Add in minced ginger & garlic and sauté till they are light brown. Mix in green chillies and stir cook a bit.
- Now add all vegetables; capsicum, cauliflower, carrot, peas, potato with some salt & turmeric sprinkled over. Stir cook for a while.
- Then add some water around ¼- ½ cup & let the vegetables cook lid closed until they get tender & all moisture dries up.
- Now add vermicelli followed by freshly prepared pulao masala. Add some salt also in adjusted quantity acc. to taste as while cooking vegetables salt has already been added. Give it nice stirs to mix well. Stir cook for another 2-3 min.
- Take out & serve hot with some garnishing.
For recipes with Vermicelli, you can visit: here
- Cool Rice Vermicelli with Grilled Vegetables (myrecipefeed.wordpress.com)
- Vegetable Pulao/Pulav (tasteefoods.wordpress.com)
- Aloo Pulao (rajesh1128.wordpress.com)
- Dalia Upma- a cracked wheat vegetable pulao (confusedbawarchis.wordpress.com)
- Egg Pulao (premilashetty.wordpress.com)
- Quinoa Pulao (madhavivaidya.wordpress.com)
- Vegetable Pulao (premilashetty.wordpress.com)
Would love to hear from you: