Speaking the word “Vegetables Spring Rolls” takes me back to my college days or ending of the college days 😦 Vegetable Spring Rolls were part of our farewell menu as appetizers. And because of that significant occasion, flavour & place of spring rolls became more awesome. Later when I was at one restaurant Moti Mahal, I was mulling over at what to order, I got remembrance of those awesomely flavored snacks and I ordered that which again deliciously satiated the craving of those snacks.
Vegetable spring rolls, the snacks of Indo-Chinese cuisine are filled with crunchy munchy flavoured vegetables, coated by a papery APF-Corn flour light sheath.
In the recipe I have given preparation for coating too but if you want to go instant, you can buy ready to use Spring roll sheaths. These vegetable spring rolls are all from scratch.
Long back I had made Spinach corn cabbage stuffed steamed rice rolls which were partially inspired from these spring rolls in shaping. Though they differ in flavour and filling wholly from them. Okay then, move ahead to see what goes into the recipe that makes them awesome-
Category- Appetizers/ Starters
Time taken- 30-45 minutes
for cover coating-
1½ cup refined flour
½ cup corn flour
1½ cup water (as needed)
½ cup milk
2 tbsp. of oil
Ingredients for filling-
1 cup long and slim shredded mixed vegetables (cabbage, carrot, beans in small cut pieces, corn seeds as whole, capsicum etc)
1 onion sliced
½ tbsp. soya sauce
1tbsp. chilli sauce
1tbsp. tomato sauce
1 tbsp. Ginger garlic paste
2 green chilies finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tbsp. refined or olive oil for frying
For Garnishing- fried noodles and sliced spring onions
Steps to follow
- Mix refined flour, corn flour,& oil. Now mix milk followed by water and knead dough with required amount of water. Keep it covered aside for a while.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling by mixing all the shredded vegetables together.
- Put oil in wok, add sliced onions, and fry them till they turn golden brown.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute & add green chillies, all mixed vegetables, and mix them well. Sprinkle some salt with little water and let them cook closed(stirring in between as required), on medium- high heat for sometime until they become soft yet crunchy.
- Now add Soya sauce, chilli sauce, & tomato sauce and mix them well, then cook for a while and season it with salt and pepper according to taste. Now filling is ready.
- Now divide the kneaded dough into equal small sized potions.
- Take one small ball and roll out into thin circular pancake of 3-4 inch diameter.
- Place a skillet on flame, put this pancake on skillet and slightly roast one side only.
- Now put 1-2 tbsp. of the filling on this pancake in the middle at the roasted side.
- Now run a water soaked finger on the edges of the pancake, like to put adhesive.
- Fold the two opposite sides to give a cylindrical shape and stick these sides with the help of this adhesive water. Fold other two smaller sides and stick with adhesive in same way.
- So now cylindrical spring rolls pockets are ready, get them fried. Fry them in oil until golden brown at medium-high flame.
- Take out and cut these pockets horizontally into rolls and sprinkle fried noodles and spring onions over them to garnish.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or salsa.
Note-Spring rolls can also be made with easy method by buying readymade packs of its cover pastries in which only filling and frying are required. They can also be made through baking instead of frying.