GUIDE TO FLOURISH YOUR GREEN DECOR-
Seasonal and Ornamental Plants
- Seasonal Plants can be flowering and non flowering. They require less efforts and maintenance as they grow on their own because of their favorable season.Ornamental or decorative Plants can be grown and maintained for long time of span irrespective of seasonal limitations. But they require little more efforts to grow and get them maintained in sense of proper application of pesticides and manures and watering at time.
1. Seasonal flowering Plants
It has a large flowering head. The sunflower is named after its large fiery blooms and it gives image of sun. The heads consist of many individual flowers which grow into seeds. It bears yellow colored flowers with yellow colored petals and black round centre area.
Marigold is the flower of November.
They come in various colors and are widely used for decorative purposes.They give beautiful look to the garden.
High season for Dahlia flowers is JUNE through the beginning of OCTOBER.
They are from the family of bushy, tuberous, perennial plants said to be originated in Mexico, Central America, and Colombia. They are widely used for the purpose of decoration. They can have different colors like white, yellow, orange, blue and red.
Most tulips bearonly one flower per stem, but a few species bear multiple flowers. They generally have cup or star-shaped tulip flower which has three petals and three sepals. Tulip flowers come in a wide variety of colors, except pure blue.
e) Water Lily- Water Lily is popular aquatic pond plant, water lilies bloom
mainly during spring and summer
but can remainlively year-round in frost-free regions. There are various varieties of water Lily that can be planted in home garden. They come in different shades and colors, white, pink and yellow. They are very necessary to be part of any garden as they add grace to the garden.
f) Rose- The best time to plant roses varies depending on the winter
temperature.Where temperatures don’t drop below -10 degrees F in either fall or spring, planting is satisfactory. Plants should be planted in a dormant condition if purchased bare root, but container grown plants may be planted throughout the growing season. Roses are best transplanted in late winter or early spring. They look so beautiful to eyes and every one of us wishes to plant rose plants in his garden. Thorny Rose Flower Plants requires much maintenance and pampering with weekly sprays and frequent fertilizing. They also come in different shades and much frequently planted ones are of red color but others are also equally beautiful.
g) Exora/Ixora- Although Exora grows in any climate but the best time to
grow is in the rainy season.
Though native to the tropical and subtropical areas throughout the world, its centre of diversity is in tropical areas in Asia, especially India. Ixora is also commonly known as West Indian Jasmine. Other common names include: Rangan, Kheme, Ponna, Santan, Jarum-Jarum, Jungle flame, Jungle geranium, and many more. They have lustrous leathery leaves and flowers are grown in clusters. Flowers are of small size. They grow in summers. An acidic soil is most preferable for their growth, and is suitable choice for bonsai.
h) Chrysanthemum–Chrysanthemums are not specific to any season.
Chrysanthemum plants can be grown in any kind of soil, but they require a sunny weather for best performance. They are available in wide varieties and the look of flowers is very captivating. Their big sized flowers just capture our hearts. Chrysanthemum is a combination of the Greek words ‘Chrys’, meaning golden (the color of the original flowers), and ‘anthemion’, which means flower. They can be grown in various colors like white, off-white, bronze, lavender, yellow, pink, burgundy, red, and purple. They may also vary in shapes and sizes
Galphimia can be grown throughout the year.
Their yellow flowers in cluster are very mesmerizing and make surroundings very beautiful.
They have several hundred species those belong to warm-temperate, subtropical and tropical regions throughout the world. They are also known as Hibiscus, sorrel, and flor de Jamaica, or less widely known as rose mallow.
k) Nerium Oliender-
Nerium flowering season-April-September.
On its full growth it appears like a tree. And it has pink colored flowers. Its beauty is amazing.
l) Hemalia flower plant- Hemalia is Annual.
- They have small sized red flowers. They have very gracy look
- m) Togor Plant-
- Togorhas lustrous bright greenappearance which is very attractive.
n) Gandhraj- Gandhraj blooms in august.
It is also called ‘Lord offragrance’. They have striking fragrance which is very exotic. They have very beautiful flowers
o) Zinnia flower plant-Summer is its growing season.
2 Decorativeflowering and Ornamental Plants-
They are grown for the display purposes of flowers, others for attractions which include leaves, scent, fruit, stem and bark. They add captivating appearance to the garden, lawn and home. Our Ornamental Grass Plants encompass, Brownea ariza, Bamboo yellow, Croton (Potted), Calathea, Champa, Dianella and so on. They give magnificence to the garden. Some of the plants that we have been under this category are:
Araucaria cookii, Agave angustifolia, Adennium obesum, Aralia, Asparagus “Myers”, Aglonema, Bryaebenus , Brunfelsia , Bougainvillea (Potted), Billbergia varieties, Bignonia venusta, Bamboo Yellow, Catesbea spinosa, Croton (Potted), Calathea (varieties), Calliandra pink/red/white, Cynenthera, Clerodendron Splendence, Champa (white, golden), Dianella, Dracaena victoriae, Datura (scented), Duranta, Excoecaria bicolor, Euphorbia (varieties) Milli, Furcarea, Fern (varieties), Ficus (varieties), Filicium, Gardenia, Gerbera, Hibiscus Hawaii varieties
(i) Adenium Ornamental Plants
They bear different kind of colored flowers and especially dry environmental condition is preferable for these plants. They have a very long life-span. These are very delicate and vulnerable at the beginning so extra efforts are required in application of adequate quantity and quality of manures and insecticides.
Victoria Ornamental Plants
Maintenance Tips for Seasonal and Ornamental Plants
Tips for Whole Year
- Trimming of shrubs or trees must be done in late spring or early autumn.
- Trimming should be done at proper angle at ¼ inch away from branch.
- Trees and shrubs should be properly mulched to maintain moisture, moderate temperature, reduces weeds (unwanted herbs) and proper growth of plants.
- Plants should not be mulched too close as it can destroys the plantation.
- There should not be over or under watering of plants. Because of over watering pesticides and manures will be washed away and due to under watering they won’t get proper moisture..
Tips for Spring
1. It is the best time when seasonal flowering as well as perennials and annuals can be planted.
2. Proper aeration and sunlight should be available at plantation area so that frosting of the season can be avoided.
3. In Spring season, soil is rich with nutrients, temperature is moderate and little moist condition provides adequate moisture.
4. Adequate pesticides, weedicides and manures should be applied.
5. Suitable watering and trimming tools should available.
6. Trimming of spring blooming flowers should be done after they flower.
1. Other maintenance are same as other season except that just avoid trimming during summers.
2. Watering Plants in summers is very essential part in maintenance. Watering should be done at morning and evening when plants will be able to absorb the moisture resisting sun’s heat.
3. Watering should not be either in excess or shortage. Because they both can harm the Plants.
- It is also good season for plantation because of favorable temperature condition.
- Watering must be adequate.
- Trimming must be done when leaves get twisted.
- As winters become close after autumn, protect plants with burlap to prevent frosting
- Trim plants which blossom in winter and not those which blossom in spring.
- Put burlap on plants to avoid frosting.
- Plants can be transferred or transplanted to other places in winters.
- Flower beds should be prepared with soil conditioner.